Thursday, April 14, 2011

off the grid

aaaaaaand we're in!

Bosc di Sot, that is.  Finalmente!

It all just sort of came together.  I put several coats of paint on the guest room walls (lilac: the only color I could imagine pairing with the hideous yellow floors), the bathroom got FINISHED, debris and bits of rubble were carted away, and the TV was cleverly moved in a way which blocks the view into the unfinished living room (we are now camped out rather cozily in the dining room).  The house has miles to go, but as of now it is livable and, if I do say so myself, incredibly charming.

The bathroom is by far the most glorious room in the house, and possibly, as far as I am concerned, the entire world.  Simple white and grey tile, rich lime walls, a killer bathtub, gorgeous exposed wood beams, and the views...the heart just swells.  I am proud beyond words of FL, just brimming with it.  He made this bathroom rock, I think to myself as I float blissfully in a hot bath watching the sun cast pink shimmers over the distant blue mountains, the peaks of the fruit trees in the garden poking into the view out the window.  I am a lucky duck, and that man is t.a.l.e.n.t.e.d. 

My wonderful friend Marianne is in town right now.  Our first house guest, and really the most perfect one we could even hope for- she's been WWOOFing for 6 months now, so the tiny inconvenience of us not having a bathroom door (that'll come out of next months paycheck, but, you know, we're all friends here) doesn't phase her what so ever.  And she's a whiz in the garden, which makes the task- if I can put it that simply- of getting the yard in order not at all overwhelming anymore.  We've hacked weeds, uncovered trees eaten by kudzu, gotten the grass down to a comfortable level, identified plants and flowers, and basically rendered what was as of a week ago a flush, spring jungle an enchanting, rambling garden.  She set me up an amazing compost pile (or the beginning of one, a starter compost pile), and informed me that what I thought was a ground cover of boring weeds was actually a huge patch of strawberries!  We've been making amazing meals in my robin's egg blue kitchen, drinking exquisite glasses of wine in quaint Cormons, hiking the bright green mountains, exploring beautiful Udine, relaxing with cups of Earl Grey tea (in those oh so perfect china mugs Marion got me) and gardening (gardening!).  Saturday we're all gonna ride up into the mountains, to a town called Sauris, where they are famous for making salami, pancetta, beer, etc.  It's suppose to be snowing up there, so I'll have to dig out the winter coat that I so ceremoniously packed away last week when the sun starting shining hard enough to give me a little sunburn.

In total...the whole concept of a "quality of life" index suddenly makes sense, and I have a feeling the index for life at Bosc di Sot is through the red tile roof.

6 comments:

Angeline said...

Your perfectly crazy and beautiful life just got more perfectly crazy and beautiful! Aaaaah, but you are a lucky girl. So glad you are crazy good writer to boot :-)
btw ... my word verification word is "sterfuch." I'm sure I've just learned something offensive in German.

Liz said...

I love how you're simultaneously a crazy "I moved across an ocean for a guy!" adventurer, and a total homebody. It's a great dynamic, which you express so subtly and gracefully in your writing. Every time I remember to check on your blog, I am happy I did so.
Also I met a Frenchman on my travels this winter and now I'm back home pining away, and reading about your happy ending makes me feel warm and fuzzy and hopeful.

Angela said...

I smiled ear to ear while reading this one. Love you both! Give a hug to that talented man of yours. Cant wait to see pictures!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I had the chance to visit Bosc di Sot, so I can vividly imagine how you live.
Marion

Mom said...

So happy to hear about the move and the garden and the bathroom with a view! FL ROCKS!! Can't wait to see it in person and soak up the ambiance. XXOO

Catalina said...

You have an interesting way of writing and when I read your posts simply makes my day.. thanks I like how you write and I would like to add some articles from your blog to appear in my magazine http://www.sexshop-romantic.ro