Monday, May 16, 2011

FL's mother gifted us an entire leg of wild boar, and I've been wracking my brain for 3 days trying to figure out how to cook it.  I brined it last night in red wine vinegar, salt and sugar, and added cloves, cinnamon and tart cherries from our garden, which we have in spades.  Thinking of rubbing some pepper and chocolate on it, then braising it tonight, slowly, with red wine, juniper berries, wild cherries and strawberries.  served over polenta, with some roasted root vegetables on the side.  i told FL he can invite a friend over to eat if that friend brings a bottle of red wine to share.  i'm thinking something from Piemonte, or Tuscany, something earthy and whimsical...

i meant to write more those days i was in Alto Adige, but I was usually so exhausted at the end of the day that it took all of me to not just cram my mouth full of sweet, smoky speck and crawl in bed and sleep at 8pm.  The work was tough, but rather meditative, and I felt as though I were floating through a dream most of the time.  The family was so dear, and so kind, and a really wonderful girl from Berlin showed up after a few days.  A couple of mornings we took horse rides at dawn, walking the gorgeous ponies up the steep mountain slopes, our eyes blinded by the rising sun shining on the snow-capped mountains across the valley.  At another time I feel like I could have just settled down and learned a little german and hid out from the world for a couple of months...but i wanted to go home!  I missed FL and our little life, I missed our garden and watching things bloom, new flowers and fruit buds and the bright green tips of the pines.  It was a wonderful feeling, really, and after a week in Sudtirol I took my leave.  The family was gracious about it and said they'd miss me, that I was welcome back anytime.  I sure hope I make it back some day.

As for now things are running smoothly.  the trees are full of cherries and the grass is covered in strawberries.  we hung pretty pictures and planted some vegetables and herbs.  Two of my good friends from athens are gonna pop in for a visit this week, which is unbelievably exciting.  There's a huge festival this weekend in Cormons, Viarte, where all the houses on Mt. Quarin open their door and throw parties, with food, music, drink, games, etc.  People start at the bottom and make their way up the mountains, stopping in here and there.  At the top there's a big bonfire, and from what I remember 2 years ago it gets rather rowdy.  Glad I'll have some wild athens girl company for this one.

and in less than 2 weeks:  SICILY!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So...how was the leg??