Saturday, October 25, 2008

"boy, you gotta prayer in memphis..."

"she said 'tell me, are you a christian, child' and i said, 'ma'am i am tonight!'"
that part always gives me goosebumps!


have come back into the big city (udine) to spend some time preparing for the ginormous anthropology research paper that i am to have completed by tuesday. i use the internet in the western union office run by koreans who wear all white designer track suits and have sunglasses with opaque images of cartoon frogs on. it costs a little bit of money but i can watch youtube aerosmith videos, which always makes me happy.
went to dinner at my old cafe last night, where benji and mia work. it was wonderful to see them, and benji made me a fantastic pizza with eggplant, prosciutto cotto, funghi, and mozzarella. was having a fine time making italian flashcards and eating too much and sipping my campari, when mia came over and said, "there a boy here, who want you". looked at her for a second, sort of terrified, and then said, "dont say that mia. say, 'theres a boy here who likes you'". this is mia, btw, who speaks such funny english that whenever i come into the cafe she exclaims, "what happened to you?!" and i get startled and start looking at myself, wondering if i am covered in blood or something. need to explain "how have you been" to her, too. anyway, was a bit weary because mia, even though she is exsquisitely beautiful, dates albanian boys with potbellies, and i feared she might be trying to set me up with someone similar. was correct. the boy who "want" me was a greek-albanian with absolutely no teeth...or rather, rotten blue stubs where proper teeth should have been. he came over and smiled this huge, grotesque smile, and then totally freaked me out by saying, in a perfect british accent, "can i buy you a glass of the house white, my sweet?". except he has a lisp, sort of, because his tongue had nowhere to push when he pronounced his t's...i adamantly refused. he kept offering and i just said, no. no. seriously. he left and mia and benji seemed like, shocked that i wouldnt go for it. "but he speak english!!" benji cried, as though this meant the world. had to exlain to them gently that i am from a country where people have braces and teeth whitening gels, and i am not culturally...accepting enough to forget that.
made my way back to my apartment. cormons is so dark at night i can see other galaxies and the milky way and the constellations shine so bright! its quiet and i can see silhouettes of bats flying about through the light mist.
so another weekend with no one to hang out with...i think after i am done doing my research i will go home, make a nice dinner, and then take the train to gorizia i.e. cuter boy town and see what i can find there.
hm, thats all for now...love!

p.s. aunt keli, if its cute boys you want (which, i dont know why you would be interested, you have the most handsome brilliant husband in the world right there in marietta), then i suggest yall take a trip to greece. those boys are just...divine! everything you could want out of an italian, looks wise, but with green eyes and cunning smiles...mmm, think will go back there, actually...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boo -
While I totally agree with all of your observations regarding your uncle Tom, it doesn't hurt to fantasize a little. After all, he is a yankee!
By the way, as I read your blog about the whole "stage" ordeal, I couldn't help but remember the time your choir was singing in church and you stood on the risers and cried the whole time. At least you didn't do that this time!!
Love you lots!!!!
Aunt Keli

Anonymous said...

Boo, see post from last blog, please.
Aunt Alice

anti said...

I know Marc Cohn helps keep my faith alive in the dark times, too. That's why I put that song on in the dorm in Udine...no matter how bad our heads hurt or how fearsome the Hun, that line just makes me shiver.