Monday, September 6, 2010


My goal for the day is to find a proper coat. I have promised myself that this autumn, and indeed winter, will not be like the last two. I will not "wait out" the cold in converse all-stars and a flimsy fleece, suffering from a running case of pneumonia for 5 solid months, thawing my frozen, icy-rain sodden body in a hot bath every evening, while my days are spent coughing up tadpoles and harboring wet squirrels in my lungs. This year will be different. I will find something substantial and thermal, while maintaining a sense of style. I imagine that something like this cannot be too hard to find in Italy. Also, I will buy boots. Or at least something closed-toed. Am too terrified to look at my bank account, though I am sure I have enough at least for a nice sweater.
The nights are getting cold here. I worked this weekend at the festival downtown. What an easy gig! Though the weather was iffy people turned out, to hear the music, sample food and wine from the booths, and to see one super adorable girl in particular. Her name was Eleanor and she was the best beer-pourer this town had ever seen. Cormons is carmingly small, in a way that a festival like this brings into one place absolutely everyone you know; Bonelli, my favorite butcher, Chiara from the Enoteca (she makes me a delicious Cafe' Americano on those days when I feel I just can't take it anymore), all of FL's friends and the porchis crew.

Sunday there was a parade, full of gigantic floats from each of the vineyards. Everyone lined the streets of the town to watch, eating gelato and sipping hot chocolates intermittently, depending on whether the sun was out or clouds were overhead. FL and I ate at a little booth, roasted chicken and sausages, polenta. The wine was wonderful, as always, and it seemed that everyone was in a good mood. All of FL's family was out, his cousins, aunts, great uncles. They all gave me huge hugs when they saw me, exclaiming how happy they were either to meet me or that I had returned. Paola has said so many nice things, and how pretty I am! And they heard about the house, how wonderful! Such nice people.

Perhaps we tired ourselves out, because by the time 11pm rolled around FL was out like a light, and me not far behind him. Today, though, I am feeling refreshed. Ready for a run up the mountain and a shopping trip to Udine. Also, today I am going to make little fliers offering my services as an English tutor, post them all over town and await those interested in learning to call and offer me MONEY.

1 comment:

Mom said...

How wonderful! A REAL parade - with floats!! Not one full of politicians every other step. I bet you were the prettiest girl ther.

xoxo