Friday, September 3, 2010

Wish I had a big, black MasterCard...that would solve my visa issues

All the ex-pat websites say the same thing: unless you're pulling up to Italy in your yacht, expect your plight for living in Italy long-term to be the same plight as all the other immigrants. A difficult, arduous road. Bureaucracy! I have 80 days left on the countdown clock of being here "legally". During that time I hope to find someone willing to hire me, fill out a huge mound of costly paperwork vouching for my employment, and agree to let me return to the US for X-number of days (one month? two? ...three?) in order to file the papers there at the Embassy in Washington DC, where I may have to go personally. Then, and only then, can I return to Italy with a work visa. Or, as everyone and their brother has suggested, I could just get married.
My mother seems to think this is not a big deal. So I will keep a look out and try my hardest to find a job, though I won't stress over it. Worse comes to worst, I'll get FL drunk and drag him to the courthouse. And would that be the worst?
Che palle, it's pouring down rain. I hope this does not jeopardize my evening. Yours truly has been offered a very prestigious position, offered only to those with a capacity for hard-work, fluent Italian, and years worth of prior experience. This weekend Cormons is hosting La Festa dell'Uva, Festival of the grape. There used to be all sorts of hoopla, a parade and costumes, etc. Now a days it's pretty much just bands playing and wine drinking. I will be working one of the kiosks, selling wine and beer for the masses. They said they'd pay me 50euro, which will make up for the cost of my ticket to Sicily. Also, networking! It should be fun (if it happens), and FL and Condor, surely, will be my two primary customers.
I have purchased Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in Italian, and I am beyond proud to say that I can read it! There are a lot of words that I don't know, of course, but the bulk of the story is crystal clear (and not only because I have read it in English- this version is completely different!). The words I don't know I write down on little flash cards. Growth and Learning.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Mamas usually know whats best if she says drag him to the court house I would do it. You guys will figure it out. I think you do have to walk in those documents in person. I was looking into getting a work visa last summer and they said you had to walk it into their office and the closest one is Washington D.C. or Chicago. I cant remember. At least you have Blake to stay with. No worries it will all workout. I know it!!!

Mom said...

Just want to clarify that what I don't think is a big deal is being an illegal alien in Italy. As much as the US talks about IAs all the time, nothing gets done, no one goes home unless a felony occurs. Like I told Marion when Annika was coming without a student Visa - our schools, hospitals, roads, etc are full of IAs and are never asked to leave. I can't imagine Italy being more diligent than the US about their IAs. Time is on your side, Boo. Don't worry, have fun!! xxxoo