Monday, September 29, 2008

paul newman



my grief is deep. blake called and woke me up from a nap saturday with the news of paul newmans death, and i felt my body sink deeper into my mattress then could be physically possible. i love paul newman, he was one of my truest heros, and the thought of our world not being graced by his presence anymore is both terrifying and heartbreaking. after some thought, however, i have come to the conclusion that all is as it should be. he has died, but after what? after a life full of big smiles and twinkling eyes and a marriage that personified the idea of love, and a life that was dedicated to the persuit of helping those less fortunate find peace and strength. paul newmans gift to our world, both through his films, and his personal convictions, and his countless hours and millions of dollars of generocity that he bestowed to people, especially children, are beyond measure. i think we should use his life as a template for our own; recognize the love and happiness that comes with compassion and humanity, the fullfillment that we can find in ourselves when we let go of fear and live our lives according to our passions, and the blessings of finding people, perhaps even a specific person, that we love dearly, and holding onto them for a lifetime.
i will miss paul newman, but he is now as he always was: a hero, a mentor, and the most beautiful man that has ever walked this earth.
john steinbeck says in his novel the wayward bus, that as we go through life we come to realize more and more that there arent very many men, real men, after all. when i read this thought last summer in my copy of the book, i circled the line, and next to it i wrote, simply, "paul newman". in a world of few, where most are wannabes or little boys lost, he definitely was, in all ways, a man.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't care if it rains or freezes,
long as i got my plastic jesus,
sittin on the dashboard of my car...

goin ninety, i ain't scary,
cause i've got the virgin mary,
assuring me that i won't go to hell...


amen baby, you're beautiful like him

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful eulogy. I thought of you first when I heard.

xxxooo

Keli said...

As shallow as this sounds, if your great-grandmother Annie Mozelle were here today she would add that,"he's easy on the eyes, too!" She had eyes just like his - blue-er than blue and sees right through to your soul. Twinkly, you know????

Love you -
Aunt Keli

Keli said...

El -
Uncle Tom asked me to send this to you. Thought it might cheer you up!
"An old Italian man lived alone in the country. He wanted to dig his Tomato garden but it was very hard work as the ground was hard. His only son, Vincenzo, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament.

Dear Vincenzo,
I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I am getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If you were here, my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the garden for me.
Love,
Papa.
A few days later he received a letter from his son...

Dear Papa
I'd do anything for you Papa, except dig up that garden. That's where I buried the bodies.
Love,
Vinnie.
At 4 am the next morning, FBI and local police arrived and dug up the entire area with out finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left. The same day the old man received another letter from his son.
Dear Papa
Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love, Vinnie." :)

Unknown said...

Remember when we found out Paul Newman lived on JohnWard Rd. We were going to welcome him to the neighborhood and bake him cookies. It is very sad. I watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, it was hard to watch. But such a great movie.

Love
Angela