Friday, July 17, 2009

more gooey-wooey love drama and a birthday miracle

nope, thats my theme song and i'm sticking to it. have this fantastic vision of myself in a floaty red dress serenading him with that song while waving goodbye from the window of my departing train...one of those old timey trains with the smoke billowing up everywhere and a conductor with a mustache and a pocket watch. and its perfect because it's dolly, my idol, and the original Steel Magnolia, which is his nickname for me (he totally came up with that by himself and it made me crazy. spent 20 minutes one night detailing the plot of Steel Magnolias, to which he replied "so, sort of like you? brave and corageous and delicate and beautiful...and southern." bah). ive decided its either a) actually be sad and broken up (which is sad and no fun), b) just not even care and turn to stone (which was my first attempt that failed and is also sad and no fun) or c) just go with it and be as romantical and make-believe and whimsical about it as i can, and being whimsical is definitely more fun and more productive plus i get to sing songs. so la la la.
so, only 2 out of 5 birthday wishes came true, which seems sad except that one of them was a DAMNED MIRACLE so that makes the whole birthday a success.
these were my birthday wishes:
-joe perry flying me home for aerosmith (really thought that was gonna work...odd, surely?)
-a kiss from Il Biondo con Il Accindino (aka "the blond with the lighter", my teenage (jesus god help me) lust object, hands down the most beautiful, um, boy, in friuli whom i find it impossible to take my eyes off of at the pool and whom i had never, ever had the courage to speak to before. i told FL this was a bday wish and he smirked and said, "ok, good luck crazy". hmph. ill show him, i thought...)
-the greatest tshirt in the world, one that reads "VERSACE un altro litro" (which is romano for "pour us another liter", and it's FLs and its old and worn in and i just go crazy when i see it)
-spritz and chupa-chups (nectar of the friulian gods)
-dinner at giat neri (obvious and easy, right? i'm not asking for much)
as i'm sure yall are sick beyond belief of hearing stories about my stupid love life, i'll spare the details, and say only that it was 9pm before any of these things took place, at which point my friend Condor came through with Chupa-Chups and Spritz. this revived my spirits a bit, but i was still feeling pretty let down. dinner never happened due to...miscommunications, and obviously joe perry hadnt called, and the only tshirt i got was (actually a really cute) one that says "made in friuli", but not the one i had asked for. i had spent 30 minutes doing my damned eye makeup and had had my dress dry cleaned and received not even a "you look nice". this started everything off on the wrong foot and plus i hadnt slept hardly at all and due to all of this i was pissy and sad. grant called, thank the lord, and made me laugh for an hour (sorry mom...) and that perked me up, too, but i still felt pretty depleated. FL and i sat at the table at the bar, being eyed by his friends, who were completely confused as to why we werent even looing each other in the eye and why we looked so sad and depressed when it was my birthday. after an hour of touch-and-go attempts at reconciliation, things came to a resoltution, and smiles came back to our faces, and there were cheers from his friends. but there was poor little me, in my dress, my hair all a beautiful mess in pins, a sad little smile on my lipsticked lips, considering whether or not any of this was even worth it and why was i even here, why wasnt i at home with my friends and family and joe perry and i'm just so exhausted...and then in walked Il Biondo con il Accindino. i let out a yelp and whispered "he's here!". have yall ever read A Prayer for Owen Meany? you know how Owen keeps getting these visions of palm trees and little vietnamese children that hes suppose to save and he knows the date of his death, but then that day comes and hes looking everywhere for what it is he had been seeing, and for a second he thinks, "theres no vietnamese children! its all been a dream! im not going to have to save anyone and die today!" but then a plane lands and a group of vietnamese children come walking out and hes like "there they are!". ok, well it wasnt really like that, obviously, but still- still!- 11:30pm on my birthday night and i figured all hope was lost and then there he is. FL let out a groan and put his head in his hands and laughed a little. i was euphoric. anyway, im not sure how i managed it but somehow i got up the courage to go introduce myself and then condor saved the day by saying "oh, happy birthday, mericàn!" and Il Biondo said, "its your birthday?" and i said yes and...he kissed me. he kissed me. on the cheeks, as is customary, but still- still!. a miracle. ta-da! i probobly looked like a blushing cartoon, all stupid grin and glazed eyes. turned and looked out the window afterward at FL, made a little bow and mouthed "did you fucking see that?!" and he just smiled and shook his head and mouthed "incredibile. absolutemente incrdibile".
ok, i have to study now. angela comes here in a week! and in two weeks we leave for piemonte!
oh, odd. got a call from some woman yesterday who offered me a years position as a live-in nanny and english tutor for her two little kids in comrons. told her id have to think about it. random.
ok, love!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if I were a betting woman I'd say you wont be leaving.......

eleanor said...

no, i'm totally leaving. i cant stay here any longer, its too small and its too complicated. plus i really want to come home and see my mimi and my nana. i think im ready to just wrap this up. maybe ill kidnap Il Biondo and bring him with me, though

Anonymous said...

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" was one of the most powerful books that I read when I was reading my way through the list of Pulitzer winners! It's a definite re-read. You have such great taste in literature (maybe I think that because you like so many of the same books I do!) tee-hee!

I'm glad some of your b'day wishes came true!!

Love, Aunt Keli

Anonymous said...

I respectfully submit, as FL's theme song, Beautiful, by Bill Medley from his CD "damn near righteous". It's on youtube.