Friday, August 20, 2010

Croatia

Even though I only slept 2.5 hours last night, I am experiencing back-wrenching cramps, and I do not EVER want to even see a piece of pasta again, I have decided to rally. For it is Vacation Time: Croatia style.
The weather today is so glorious, bright and cheery enough to have roused us from our bed (well, I had already been up and wandering about the room since 4am) just a little while after the damned rooster crowed (FL's youngest brother, Diego, is experimenting with livestock. If the rooster works out, he hopes to get a goat, move on to a cow, etc. His mother thinks this is hilarious, and appreciates the idea of fresh milk, as long as someone else brings it to her kitchen table). Friday is market day- recall Day of Doom post from when Mama was here- so the town is bustling. Sidewalks crowded, people old and young chatting and shopping and drinking cafes. We walked down to a charming little panificio, golden counters full of fresh baked breakfast delights, super-rich cream fillings, custards, baked apples, mini tiramisu', biscotti of every variety. I opted for a pro-biotic strawberry drink, and a soda water in which to dissolve my asprin. FL chose an espresso and a cream-custard-filled krafen, caked in powdered sugar that stuck to his whiskers and his dimples like blurred snowflakes. He couldn't help but grin while he ate it, and after the bite i stole I could understand why.
As we made our way downtown to see what the market had to offer, FL asked nonchalantly if we should take advantage of this beautiful day and hop over to Croatia. Inches to death, dreaming of heading home and pulling closed the dark shutters, spending the day making up for my insomnia, finding a cure for my weird exhaustion...I reconsidered. A trip to the sea sounds delightful. Fresh air, etc. And there will be shrimp! So very much shrimp.
I'll take pictures.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I can't wait to see pictures!! Every post you write makes me want to melt-- have a fun trip :)

Unknown said...

Hey, El - So glad you made it safely. Your Mom and Aunt Alice keep me up to date on your adventures. Keep posting, as I am living vicariously through you! Jenny Brumby

Anonymous said...

Hi Boo,
I cried when I read your trip and first day back blog, I really felt like I was there with you. a friend of mine said your blog reads like a novel (yes I've shared with several friends) and she is right!
Please find out "everything" from your neighbor!
Have the time of your life at the beach.
aunt alice

Angela said...

I just caught up on your new posts. I enjoyed every word. So happy for you guys. I was smiling ear to ear reading the earlier post about the old lady who is going to be your new neighbor. Love you guys!