Thursday, August 26, 2010

FLs cute middle brother Matteo saved the day by making me not one, but two giant coffees. The first was a mix I had picked up at the store, some nasty Nesquik instant stuff. Tasted like rabbit pellets and motor oil. I drank it graciously, regardless, with a grimace on my face. Matteo offered milk, sugar- still terrible. So the next round we tried something different, something obvious: 3 shots of espresso, mixed with a little hot water and a glug of warm milk. It wasn't like home, but it was drinkable. I am feeling energized and revived.
I was lounging about in bed, after a brisk morning weight training session and a cool bath, reading Cider House Rules, when the younger one, Diego, popped his head in and informed me the terrible news: FL wouldn't be able to return home for lunch, but would I please come up and eat with the family anyway. I try my hardest not to be antisocial, not to hide out in the apartment whenever FL is away, but there's still a part of me that feels somewhat odd, or guilty, even. Living here, taking lots of baths, eating all their food. I don't want to invade all their nice family meals. Of course, the truth is I am being ridiculous: these people live to feed me, I am in no way a burden, maybe just an oddity at times. And who doesn't love some strange foreigner with strange customs living in their house. Endless entertainment! So I went up and ate, lots of pasta, lots of cheese, fresh lemonade, a salad.
Last night FL and I decided to "stay in", which is a nice way to put "not go out and get shitfaced at Porchis Pool", which tends to happen from time to time whether one is planning on it or not. We rented a movie, purchased 20euro worth of delicious filet mignon, which we cooked au poivre style, and had a lovely evening at home. The weather outside is cool these days, especially at night. The garden here is spectacular, and there's an old stone table under a canopy of grape vines where we can eat al fresco, if we light candles to keep the mosquitoes away. We talked about our house, and what plans we had for it. He'd like chickens; I'd like to hang twinkly lights over the pergola. The kitchen will need to be remodeled, and there's a store in town where I can buy canvas to make my octopus portraits. We want lots of vegetables, and maybe one day I can talk him into a goat.
As for now, it is a sunny Thursday afternoon, and I am going to the pool.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sounds like you're settling in and getting adjusted to everything. I miss you and can't wait to come for a visit!!

xxoo

Anonymous said...

Boo - Is this your first time reading Cider House Rules? Great book. I'm so glad you have a love of reading AND that you have such great taste in books! Hope you continue to feel better and adjust to life in Italy. Put some photos of your house on fb or the blog. And some photos of the wise Italian woman next door that knows everything!
Love, Aunt Keli