Sunday, August 29, 2010



I believe I am experiencing what is referred to as a "food coma". As I understand it, this occurs when one has consumed, for example: 2 steaks, 6 lamb chops, 3 pieces of polenta, 2 grilled new potatoes, several slices of salami, and a bowl of pasta. Now that that is in writing I wince at the amount of carbohydrates involved; must begin new weight-training regime tomorrow and avoid putting back on everything I have lost (everyone, by the way, keeps telling me how pretty and skinny I am, and asking what my workout routine is. As a result I ate more and stopped working out. Pretty sure my math's not right).



The cookout was delightful, and is in fact still going on. Where as in America we have people over for a bar-b-q that lasts the length of the afternoon, ending when the first baby begins to fuss, the beer runs out, or it's just magically that collective-time-to-go-home, here these things are like, major affairs. FL's friends began arriving at 10am. I arose from my lair at 10:30, took a bath, made a coffee, and came out to the porch, where they were already lighting up the grill and drinking beer. FL had put on one of the mix CD's Uncle Tom made, the party was in full swing.



Racks of lamb were sliced, giant steaks were carved out of Irish tenderloins. People came and went, the grill kept grilling. The party was a toast to America, and Bentley at one point made a touching little speech congratulating FL on acquiring an American; Cormons now held "the key". To what is not clear, but it seems a victory, none the less. When the babies got tired, they took naps. One had a bath. I wished for a real refrigerator, one that thoroughly chilled the beer. My only complaint is that the beers were room temperature, at best. I hid one in the freezer and it took almost 3 hours for it to reach the point of what I considered "a nice, cool beer".



Nevermind, cause the lamb was superb. The meat had been purchased from a fancy supplier of imported cuts to restaurants in Friuli. Condor is friends with the guy, who said he could help us out when the idea of a bar-b-q was raised a while back. All the carne was excellent and fresh, and we were warned to not mess with it; no pepper, no rosemary. Only a bit of salt once it was finished. Condor grilled potatoes, polenta. I made the pasta (v. v. proud of myself)!



We had brunch, lunch, an afternoon lull, and then dinner. As of now, FL has busted out the Makers Mark and is telling everyone about my amazing grandmother, Mimi, who drinks bourbon and CAN USE THE INTERNET!!!!!!! Everyone is v. impressed.



Oh, and obviously I have purchased a new camera! It was a bit on the pricey side, but I think I made the right choice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmm...I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to watch the barbq festivities. I'm glad Uncle Tom's musical spirit was there with you. It's nice that FL threw the party for you and that he appreciates your "brave". I do, too!

Love, Aunt Keli PS - still waiting to see photos of your house!

Mom said...

What a wonderful way to spend a day. . . great friends, food, music, and fun!! Where did this event occur?? So glad you got a camera and can snap&post. Love being able to 'see' what you're describing.

xxooo

Mom